Monday, July 23, 2007

Plein Aire Painting

This last weekend I was away visiting family and while there I snuck away with my Dad for a few hours to paint! I don't usually get out much to paint landscapes even though I love it and learn so much each time I go out. So anytime I have the chance to paint with my Dad, I take it. We were in Green Bay Wisconsin on some random back road in the country. My Dad chose the location, he really loved the color in the wheat field. He taught me a new technique that I really love, it's a mud palette, basically you mix up a mud color either warm or cool depending on the feel you're going for and then you paint all of your color into that. This creates harmony, and it's a lot of fun too! The colors on my palette when painting Plein Aire are: French Ultramarine Blue, Cadmium Red, Cadmium Lemon, Naples Light and White.

The first painting below was the one I painted with my Dad, and was my first try with this Palette. The painting is a 9x12 Oil on panel. About an hour or so worth of painting. The second painting I did yesterday, right outside my apartment in Uptown Chicago. I only had a little over an hour to paint and I didn't want to venture out too far from home. Not the most interesting scene, so I decided to make something out of the verticals that I was seeing. This painting is also 9x12 Oil on panel.




8 Comments:

Blogger Tim Bye said...

Great work Jason - I love the brushwork in these. I love your dads work also - his blog is a treat. Inspiring stuff

12:24 PM  
Blogger Marco Bucci said...

nice work! Natural sense of light in these. Must be great to have a father who paints, too.

1:15 PM  
Blogger Roderick De Jesus said...

I'll definitely bethere.Can i store my stuff by your table? just kidding. But seriously i'll be there so i'll stop by and se eyou. I'm excited

10:37 PM  
Blogger Shawn Escott said...

Nice little studies Jason!

8:48 PM  
Blogger SEILER said...

Hey thanks guys . . . I would love to be able to go out everyday and paint if I could . . . it's a lot of fun!

7:55 AM  
Blogger Roderick De Jesus said...

gotta bring me with u some time

12:33 AM  
Blogger SEILER said...

Anytime Roderick! In Fact, this Sunday, Jason Farely and I are going "Urban Painting" . . . in Uptown somewhere . . . your welcome to come for sure!

8:46 AM  
Blogger Larry Seiler said...

first chance seeing that vertical piece, Jason...

good tension with negative space and playing with asymmetry!!! You popped it too making sure the light of the sky nearer to the horizon was much lighter in value.

My favorite part is the subtle cools and midvalues in shadow beneath the sign!

keep up the great work!

10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All artwork © JasonSeiler 2006 unless otherwise stated. All characters are copyright to their respective owners