Monday, October 22, 2007

Cover for the Weekly Standard







Well, I'm proud to say that I just did my first cover for The Weekly Standard! This is a magazine that I have wanted to work with for a long time now, many of the artists that I have inspired me in the past as well as in the present have done and still do covers for the Standard, so it's a great honor for me. Also, I LOVE drawing and painting political figures, there's so much going on in they're faces, I love the themes as well.

This piece was originally commissioned as a full page illustration, not as a cover. But because of unfortunate events in Pakistan, my illustration was now just right for this week's cover. The illustration was actually for next week's issue, so I was given a portrait to work on for this week's issue. When the decision was made that my illustration would be the cover this week instead of an illustration for next week, my portrait was yanked. I had already sketched out the portrait as well as began a quick block in with color, so I sent it to the staff and even though it was only a study or sketch, they decided to run with it. I didn't mind because it has a cool feel to it, partly painted with the sketch showing through, looks like art to me!

So all and all I did the cover as well as inside portrait in two and a half days worth of work. By looking at the sketches you can see how fast I had to work, the Al Qaeda character for example was sketched in about 3 to 5 minutes, half way through the painting they wanted an angry Al Qaeda in the background so I took a couple pictures of my friend James and roughed it out!

18 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

Let me be the first to congratulate you on both getting the assignment and kicking it's ass. It seems to me like you are getting faster and faster without losing quality which is huge man. Love the portrait too, and you're right, it does almost look like art!

9:39 AM  
Blogger Nathan Lindsay said...

awesome. I can't believe how quick your turn around was on these.

10:32 AM  
Blogger SEILER said...

Thank you Robin, gotta do what we gotta do right? I appreciate the encouragement!

Thanks Nathan, and I can't believe it either. :)

10:42 AM  
Blogger Nelson Santos said...

I can see Snoop Dog in there!

10:58 AM  
Blogger Jorge Restrepo H. said...

Since the sketch until the final work, fantastic!!
congratulations Jason!

11:33 AM  
Blogger Tim Bye said...

Amazing stuff man - so fast too! Incredible

12:32 PM  
Blogger William K. Moore said...

Jason.. getting to make and meet personal goals is one of life's real buzz(es). Makes me happy to see a fellow Chicagoan bringing it to the illustration biz. This work has all the boxes checked off for me and I agree... painting faces unfolds a world of possiblility and reward.

2:09 PM  
Blogger Larry Seiler said...

Never had a doubt...not ever!!!

Congrads!

daaaaahd

8:56 PM  
Blogger Dave Dick said...

Well it turned out amazing! Really awesome work, Jason!

11:11 AM  
Blogger DeJarnette Designs said...

Congratulations on the cover and getting the spot illustration in the magazine. It looks great! The speed and quality of your work is phenomenal.

(Looking for more Weekly Standard covers for now on.)

6:17 PM  
Blogger Roderick De Jesus said...

that's sweett dude.

come to my show on nov 9.

8:22 PM  
Blogger Marco Bucci said...

Jason - I'm almost positive that you're destined to be remembered for your cover illustration (among other things, of course). They are all impeccible. I don't even quite know what 'impeccible' means, but it seems like the correct word to use.
Great work man!

6:59 PM  
Blogger Emily Byrne said...

Jason, you're inspiring!

9:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Love the expressions! Truly amazing.

8:47 AM  
Blogger bog_art said...

Stunning work!!.. I am about to work in my first serious magazine cover ever.. Could you help me with some tip in this field.. I know I won't do it as yours, but..

3:28 PM  
Blogger william wray said...

always an insperation! You got Rock balls that don't suck!

9:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOve the cover but those sketches are truly amazing and have so much appeal in that stage!!!

8:57 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love that the Al Qaeda guy is James Harrar. Classic.

8:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All artwork © JasonSeiler 2006 unless otherwise stated. All characters are copyright to their respective owners