Sunday, April 20, 2008

Obama for The Weekly Standard!




Here's the final Obama painting that I worked on Thursday and Friday. My first piece done with my new Cintiq, which is soooo awesome, I'm not sure how I managed as long as I have without a Cintiq? This was a quick painting, done in about a day and a half. The trick is to make it look as though I spent more time on it then I did, but a "rushed look" is not what I want people to see in my work.

So with that, I'm pleased with how it turned out. I usually paint much larger than the size the art will print . . . this time, I painted only an inch and a half larger than print size. I do not recommend this, and it was not my intention . . . I had already painted for a few hours when I realized the size in which I was painting. This piece is a full page illustration, from top to bottom of the page, so normally I should have painted it at least 4 or 5 inches larger . . . . it turned out fine, but when it came to smaller areas like the hands, eyes and feet, I couldn't really get in there and detail the way that I want to.

I painted this first with no background behind it, last minute I was asked if I could throw a background behind him for text and so forth . . . I'm not sure which one they went with?



20 Comments:

Blogger Lash LeRoux said...

Awesome, Jason! I'm always so impressed by your work, I want to compliment you on every new piece; only to realize that I'm constantly repeating myself... Oh, well -- phenomenal as always!

3:55 PM  
Blogger Vincenzo said...

Yep...just what Lash said!

6:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha. I really like this one! It made me laugh when I saw it, which is awesome. Great work!

7:16 PM  
Blogger sensei said...

wow quick turn around and it looks good man!!

12:43 AM  
Blogger Paul Moyse said...

What I like most about this is his pose. The reflective light is also great.

2:08 AM  
Blogger JP said...

love the layers of texture you get into your paintwork.

2:26 AM  
Blogger Asier M. López said...

yeah!nice obama jason.

4:50 AM  
Blogger Niall O loughlin said...

Great stuff Jason, just add a link!

7:33 AM  
Blogger Everybody's gotta be in a Gang said...

Great job, Jason!
Forgive my ignorance- what's a Cintiq and what's the difference from how you usually work?

9:10 AM  
Blogger Shawn Escott said...

Looks great man! A cintiq huh!!? Cool! I've heard so much good feedback about those, it must be awesome! Are you looking to get rid of your wacom?

9:29 AM  
Blogger Nelson Santos said...

Great work Jaz but i think the expression on the previous thumbnail sketch tells more about Obama.

9:56 AM  
Blogger SEILER said...

Thank you so much everyone!!!!! Contiqs are cool, google it, it'll make more sense! Shawn, I'm keeping my tablet, just in case, it's also nice because it hooks up to my laptop . . . . and Nelson, I actually like the bottom sketch of Obama too, I may do a painting from that at some point, or just use it for future Obama art, who knows? But in the end it's all about what will be best for the magazine and article!

11:05 AM  
Blogger William K. Moore said...

Great painting Jason. Nice when your equipment investment works for you. Hope this guy is smiling tomorrow after the PA primary.

11:30 AM  
Blogger Tim Bye said...

Well it's alright for an amateur! Just kidding - awesome work as always -I really like how you've painted the shorts - nice reflected light there too!!!

1:23 PM  
Blogger Shawn Escott said...

That's cool :)

I can't wait to see what you do with the new hardware!

Great work!

7:12 PM  
Blogger Larry Seiler said...

awesome work, Jason!!!

7:53 PM  
Blogger Marco Bucci said...

Beautiful illustration Jason. Love the exaggeration on the head, and the body works real nicely too. And I've always loved that Trump painting below.

8:20 PM  
Blogger Josh Cassidy said...

amazing as usual!

9:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jason!
Your work is incredible! I really love the caricature's of Bobby and Steve...bang on man! Are you going to the Comic Con this summer? I hope we can meet in person if so.
Cheers!
Kris.

2:00 AM  
Blogger SEILER said...

Thanks guys!!! Political figures are the most fun to draw, fun ideas usually and their faces have soooo much character . . . I can't wait for Obama to get older, I can already see what gravity is going to do to his face . . . will be LOADS of fun! Sorry Bill, I'm nost sure if he's smiling much now? Maybe he'll still have the last laugh?

Greetings Kris Pearn! Thank you much, I'm very honored that you like what you see, I'm a big fan of your work as well as the work of Carter Goodrich and others from your amazing Sony films . . . . I look at the drawings in those books on a weekly basis! I'll be at the comic con and would love to hang out!
Talk soon.

8:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All artwork © JasonSeiler 2006 unless otherwise stated. All characters are copyright to their respective owners