Monday, March 29, 2010

Su Haitao Paint-Sketch



As mentioned previously, I am doing an interview for my friend Su Haitao from China. For part of the interview I did a simple step by step on sketching as well as this small and quick painting. The picture that I used as reference was fairly low resolution, which was plenty good enough to sketch from. Once I decided I wanted to paint it, I asked Su if he had a better version of the reference with higher resolution. He didn't, and even though he sent new but different pictures that were of higher resolution, I decided to just stick with my original reference. I liked the colors and the setting . . . so, because the image was lower in resolution and I only had a little time to spare for this, I decided to do something a bit more painterly and loose, and I also limited myself to finishing the painting in under two hours.

I used a round brush to block in large amounts of color, then one of my brushy looking brushes for the remainder of the painting. Rather than focusing on the small details of the face, I chose to approach the painting more like that of a plein air painting. Squinting my eyes and focusing on shape, color, and value.

It was quick, fun, and I rather enjoy the final result.




Here's a detail image to see how loose and brushy it is.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but again, I would like to remind everyone that my next class on CARICATURE starts April 16th at www.schoolism.com As always, any questions you may have can be emailed to me or the staff at Schoolism. Thank you.

20 Comments:

Blogger Barry O'Donoghue said...

very cool Jason.

7:01 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nice! It seems as if he's in my country...

7:04 AM  
Blogger Jonathan said...

Love it Jason, the palette is just so serene. The execution of the painting is also well done, you make digital look so tempting, Great painting Jason!

7:28 AM  
Blogger Joe Hox said...

Masterful.

8:27 AM  
Blogger Chad said...

Hilarious!! Great job... and quick!

8:42 AM  
Blogger Marco Bucci said...

Nice landscape in the BG! Looks plein air.

9:05 AM  
Anonymous Mag said...

Mi pana seiler Incredible, as always impress, pure inspiration to me. lucky

9:50 AM  
Blogger Steve Hearn said...

Wonderful Jason! Great work as always! Was watching your DVD again yesterday, very inspiring!

10:13 AM  
Blogger Augie Pagan said...

Thanks for sharing the close-up of the face. A rare treat and nice to know how loose you can stay digitally when a common thing for me is to keep zooming in and render.

-Aug

3:32 PM  
Anonymous Annie said...

Even up close it looks good to me, like a traditional painting.

6:20 PM  
Blogger sensei said...

Man thats cool Jason

6:20 PM  
Blogger Haitao Su said...

Deeply thank you!
I wish my all friends have seen it! I will tell them that this is Jason's caricature for me,Wow! Who is he? He is a genius! a master!above all he is my great friend!

Bravo! Thanx again!!!

9:19 PM  
Blogger Miguel Garrido said...

Genial, qué suelto!!!

4:48 AM  
Blogger Eugen Caitaz said...

Nihao Jason!!! Awesome chineze friend!!!! :)

10:33 AM  
Blogger A. Riabovitchev said...

Brilliant!Very funny.:o)

12:08 PM  
Blogger Tim Wilmsen said...

Hi Jason,

Nice drawing. The background is recognizable to me... I recognize Holland! Isn't it? :-)

12:43 PM  
Blogger Nathan Lindsay said...

you spent most of your painting time on those sheep, didn't you? This is awesome Jason.

1:52 PM  
Blogger William K. Moore said...

No doubt the center of attention (interest) here Jason... and it sure ain't the stripes on the shirt.. your mastery of skin is beyond the ordinary and the teeth aren't bad neither -- (the sound of two hands clapping)

10:37 AM  
Blogger DJ Zutkovic said...

Truly wicked work sir!

7:32 AM  
Blogger Brijesh Rajput said...

Amazing work!

11:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All artwork © JasonSeiler 2006 unless otherwise stated. All characters are copyright to their respective owners